My darling sister in laws Katie and Annie came for a delightful visit this past weekend. That photo above is us on a mountain sojourn. The entire weekend was a near non-stop ramble of love, laughter and rampant chatter..as we moved from the mountains, to our home, to the local vineyards for wine tasting....we talked from morning till the wee hours of the night...not a topic that we did not touch! The day they left for home I was searching on my blog for a photo and while looking I came across this piece I wrote over 3 years ago. I read the whole thing and nodded all the while....I know 3 years seems such a small amount of time...and yet..to me..it feels a near lifetime ago. The words I wrote resonated with me so much....and amazingly I still feel I would say all the same things. It made me think of the many topics we chatted on over the weekend.....and I just had to share...in hopes it will resonate with you as well.
What would you say to your younger self?
It's a good thought eh?...What would you say? I simply must know....no matter who you are or what your age...what would you say to your younger self? As for me...I will share a few of the things I would say to the younger me....(and I will continue to say to myself as I age...gracefully!)
- Be True...to yourself, always...everyday..with every decision you make.
- Explore....and continue to explore, the world...your backyard....yourself.
- Know you will evolve...in so many ways, embrace all of them.
- Embrace change....for it's a comin'....like it or not....in all sorts of ways.
- Share...as much of yourself as you can...
- Say no...when you need to.
- Don't make decisions based on flattery.
- LOVE...and know that it too will come in many forms.
- BREATHE.....sometimes you just have to take a moment and breathe.
- Know that "failures" are little steps toward your goals.
- Find a friend that will be there for it...... ALL.
- Give yourself credit, and know that that alone is enough.
- Know that everyone is not looking at everything you do.
- Take pleasure in the little things.
- "Firsts" are very special in every way...and they only happen once. Be awake for them.
- Be thoughtful to anyone you meet , no matter what they do or who you think they are.
- Be gracious.
- Everyday...eat well, move your body, do something with your brain.
- Know that things don't always "come to you" just because you want them or are ready for them.
- Be humble.
- Find ways to inspire others and it will come full circle.
- You will be ok.
- Make life leaps...they can be scary...but they can be really , really fun and fulfilling too!
- Keep your mind open to other people's ideas.
- Be willing to look inside and figure who you are and who you want to keep growing into.
OK...I know, my list is long, and yet...oddly I could go on and on with this one . I will...I'll share it with you at another time.
Please share yours with me, with all of us.....I know I have more to learn from you....
Cheers ...to Infinity and Beyond!!!
~ live your poetic wanderlust !….with love, from our studio + ranch~ in the California countryside …Tracy Porter~